The World Trade Organisation WTO invites applications from young post-graduate students from all WTO member countries or customs territories for the WTO Internship Programme 2022.
The WTO Secretariat has over the years maintained a variety of internship programmes for post-graduate students. Internship selections are based on merit, taking account of eligibility criteria, academic qualifications and expertise.
The WTO Secretariat employs over 600 staff from around 80 WTO member countries. Staff roles include dispute settlement lawyer, legal officers, trade policy analysts and specialists, research economists and statisticians, who help to ensure that trade negotiations progress smoothly and that the rules of international trade are correctly implemented. Other roles include press officers, translators and interpreters, professionals in finance, IT, HR, etc. who support the mission of the WTO.
Job Title: Intern
Job ID: JR100005
Posted: 20th March 2022
Closing Date: 30-12-2022-11:59 p.m
Duration: Up to a maximum of six months.
The WTO Secretariat runs three major categories of internship programmes for post-graduate students. The programmes, listed below, are designed to increase diversity at the WTO, and more information about each may be found in the links provided under each category:
- The WTO Internship Programme is open to post-graduate students from all WTO members and countries or customs territories engaged in accession negotiations – WTO Internship Programme
- The China LDC and Accessions Programme (also known as the China WTO Accession Internship Programme) – RESERVED FOR POST-GRADUATE STUDENTS FROM DEVELOPING COUNTRIES AND LEAST DEVELOPED COUNTRIES – China’s LDCs and Accessions Programme
- The WTO Support Programme for Doctoral Studies – RESERVED FOR POST-GRADUATE STUDENTS FROM DEVELOPING COUNTRIES AND LEAST DEVELOPED COUNTRIES – WTO Support Programme for Doctoral Studies
- Only Interns from among nationals of WTO Member states and Observer governments are eligible.
- Interns shall have completed at least one year of their postgraduate studies (for example, Master’s) in a relevant discipline (for example, economics, law, political science, international relations).
- The minimum age for an intern is 21 years and the maximum age 30 years.
A roster of suitable candidates is maintained from which interns are selected. In addition to the internship programmes, the need may also arise to recruit interns at short notice for specific tasks. These recruits will also be drawn from the roster. Names will be maintained on the roster for one year and no more.
Benefits of WTO Internship Programme
- The internship programmes is designed to increase the diversity of the WTO.
- The WTO Internship Programme provides an opportunity for post-graduate students from WTO member and observer countries to gain valuable experience from working at the WTO.
- Remuneration: Interns receive a daily allowance of CHF 60 (including week-ends and official holidays falling within the selected period). Travel expenses to and from Geneva cannot be paid by the WTO, and such travel is not covered by the Organization’s insurance.
- Medical health insurance coverage is mandatory in Switzerland, and interns are responsible for organizing their own health insurance prior to commencing their internship at the WTO.
Assignments given to interns are intended to enhance the individual’s understanding of the WTO and of trade policy more generally. However, internships include opportunities in other specialist areas, such as finance, human resources, language services, IT and communications. Many interns work in the following areas:
- Trade law
- Trade policy
- Administration (procurement, finance, human resources)
- Information, communication and external relations
- Information management
- Information about the responsibilities of the WTO’s divisions is available here.
The division to which the intern is posted determines the actual nature of the work to be undertaken. The WTO Secretariat Divisions which intern may be posted include:
- WTO Secretariat Accessions Division
- Administration and General Services Division
- Agriculture and Commodities Division
- Council and Trade Negotiations Committee Division
- Delivery Unit
- Development Division
- Economic Research and Statistics Division
- Human Resources Division
- Information Technology Solutions Division
- Information and External Relations Division
- Institute for Training and Technical Cooperation
- Intellectual Property, Government Procurement and Competition Division
- Division for Knowledge and Information Management, Academic Outreach and the WTO Chairs Programme (KMD)
- Language and Documentation Services Division
- Legal Affairs Division
- Market Access Division
- Office of Internal Oversight
- Rules Division
- Technical Cooperation Audit Division
- Trade and Environment Division
- Trade in Services and Investment Division
- Trade Policies Review Division
- Appellate Body Secretariat
How to Apply
Interested candidates can submit their applications online through the WTO external jobs portal at https://wto.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
- WTO maintains a roster of suitable candidates is from which interns are selected. Suitable applications are maintained on the roster for one year.
- Intake to the WTO Internship Programme is on an ongoing basis, with no specific recruitment period. However, there may be specific vacancy notices for internship positions requiring particular qualifications and skillsets published on the WTO’s e-Recruitment website: https://wto.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External.
- The granting of an internship does not entail the right to a vacancy in another part of the Secretariat. Interns may nevertheless apply for any external vacancies.
- Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
The closing date for the submission of application for the WTO Internship Programme is 30th December 2022 at 11:59 p.m, Geneva, Switzerland (Time Zone)
Start Your Application Here: https://wto.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/CWR/Intern_JR100005