The Embassy of Japan wishes to inform Nigerian Teachers that the government of Japan will provide scholarships for Nigeria Primary/Secondary school teachers who desire to take teacher training courses and Japanese language training in Japan.
The Scholarship is open to graduates of universities and Teachers Training Colleges no more than thirty – four (34) years of age (must be born on or after April 2, 1984), who have taught as a teacher at primary / Secondary schools or teachers training colleges for at least five years in their home countries at the time of application.
The Embassy wishes to use this opportunity to attract Nigerian schools that wish to start Japanese language class or course at their school. Beneficiaries shall upon their return help to promote Japanese language education in Nigeria
QUALIFICATIONS AND CONDITIONS FOR APPLICANTS FOR JAPANESE GOVERNMENT MEXT TEACHERS SCHOLARSHIP 2019
MEXT accepts applications from international students for study in Japan who satisfy the following qualifications and conditions. Its aim is to foster human resources who will become bridges of friendship between the grantee’s country and Japan through study in Japan and who will contribute to the development of both countries and the wider world.
(1) Nationality: Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan. An applicant who has Japanese nationality at the time of application is not eligible. However, persons with dual nationality who hold Japanese nationality and whose place of residence at the time of application is outside of Japan are eligible to apply as long as they choose the nationality of the other country and renounce their Japanese nationality by the date of their arrival in Japan. The First Screening must be conducted at the Japanese diplomatic mission in the country of which the applicant chooses the nationality.
(2) Age: Applicants must be born on or after April 2, 1984. Exceptions are limited to cases in which MEXT deems that the applicant could not apply within the eligible age limit due to the situation or circumstances of the applicant’s country (military service obligation, loss of educational opportunities due to disturbances of war, etc.).
Personal circumstances (financial situation, family circumstances, state of health, circumstances related to applicant’s university or place of employment etc.) will not be considered for exceptions.
(3) Academic and Career Background: Applicants must be graduates of universities or teacher training schools and have worked as teachers at primary/secondary educational institutions or teacher training schools (excluding universities) in their home countries for a total period of five years or more as of October 1, 2019. In-service faculty members in a higher education institution are not eligible.
(4) Japanese Language Ability: Applicants must be willing to learn Japanese. Applicants must be interested in Japan and be willing to deepen their understanding of Japan after arriving in Japan. Applicants must also have the ability to do research and adapt to living in Japan.
(5) Health: Applicants must submit a health certificate in the prescribed format signed by a physician attesting that the applicant has no physical or mental conditions hindering the applicant’s study in Japan.
(6) Arrival in Japan: In principle, applicants must be able to arrive in Japan by the designated period (usually September or October) between the day two weeks before the course starts and the starting date of the course. If the applicant cannot arrive in Japan during the specified period for personal reasons, travel expenses to Japan will not be paid. Excluding cases in which MEXT deems as unavoidable circumstances, the applicant must withdraw from this scholarship program if the applicant cannot arrive in Japan by the end of the specified period above which decided by MEXT or the accepting university.
(7) Visa Requirement: An applicant shall, in principle, obtain a “Student” visa at the Japanese diplomatic mission located in the applicant’s country of nationality, and enter Japan with the residence status of “Student”. Accordingly, even if the applicant already has other residence status (“Permanent resident,” “Long-term resident,” etc.), the applicant must change it to the “Student” status and re-enter Japan. Moreover, the applicant should be aware that after expiration of the status as a MEXT Scholarship student and even if the student again applied for their original resident status of “Permanent resident” or “Long-term resident,” such resident statuses might not be necessarily granted.
(8) Non-Eligibility: Those who meet any one of the following conditions are ineligible. If identified ineligible after being selected as a scholarship student, he/she must withdraw from the scholarship.
- Those who are military personnel or military civilian employees at the time of their arrival in Japan or during the period of the payment of the scholarship;
- Those who cannot arrive in Japan by the last date of the period specified by MEXT or the accepting university;
- Those who are previous grantees of Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship in the past (including those who withdraw from the scholarship program after the arrival in Japan). It does not apply to those receiving the MEXT Honors Scholarship in the past;
- Those who are currently also applying for another program for which scholarship payments will begin in fiscal 2019 through a Japanese Government (MEXT) scholarship scheme;
- Those who are already enrolled in a Japanese university or other institution with a residence status of “Student,” or who are going to be enrolled, or plan to enroll, in a Japanese university or other institution as a privately-financed international student from the time of application to the MEXT scholarship program in the applicant’s country until the commencement of the period for payment of the MEXT scholarship.
- Those who are planning to receive scholarship money from an organization other than MEXT (including a government organization of the applicant’s country) on top of the scholarship money provide by MEXT after the start of the scholarship payment period; Holders of dual nationality at the time of application who cannot verify that they will give up Japanese nationality by the time of the arrival in Japan; Those who change their residence status to that of other than “Student” after their arrival in Japan.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL APPLICANTS FOR JAPANESE GOVERNMENT MEXT TEACHERS SCHOLARSHIP 2019
How to Apply
For guidelines and application form, go to the Japan Embassy address at:
No. 9, Bobo Street (off Gana Street),
Maitama, Abuja. Telephone: 090 60000 9019, 090 6000 9099
Completed application forms could be submitted either in person or by post to the following address:
Embassy of Japan
No. 9 Bobo Street,
Off Gana Street Maitama, Abuja
Application Closing Date
Closing date for submission of application forms is March 31st, 2019. Application forms received after this date will not be processed. Please note that the embassy will not accept submission of application by e-mail. This is because only the originals or certified copies of the originals of some documents are required.