The Federal Government of Nigeria through the Ministry of Communications, Innovations and Digital Economy – FMCIDE, Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security – FMAFS and it’s subsidiary, the Nigeria Information Technology Development Agency NITDA, has initiated a funding program for the use of AI technology in Agriculture called the 4th Industrial Revolution Technology Application (4IRTA) Grant.
The Nigerian agricultural sector significantly contributes to the country’s economy, employing over 35% of the workforce and accounting for over 20% of Nigeria’s GDP. However, the sector faces some challenges, such as low productivity, limited adoption
of technology and climate change.
The use of Four Industrial Relation (4IR) technologies, such as Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), Internet of Things (IoT), Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Blockchain, has the potential to revolutionize the Nigerian agricultural sector. These technologies, amongst
others, can be used to improve crop yields, monitor soil health, detect pests and diseases, and manage logistics.
The 4IRTA project is designed to Identify, demonstrate and mainstream applicable market-ready innovation that leverages 4IR technologies (UAVs, IoT, AI and Blockchain) to enhance the productivity and sustainability of the Nigerian agricultural sector.
Scope of NITDA 4IRTA Grant
This 4IRTA Grant will fund demonstration projects focused on the application of UAV, IoT, AI and Blockchain in crop production, fishery, livestock and forestry. Projects with the following applications of 4IR technologies in Agriculture would be considered:
- Crop Production: UAVs, IoT and AI are being used to collect data on crop health, water stress, and nutrient deficiencies. This data can then be used to optimise irrigation and fertiliser applications.
- Fishery: IoT and AI sensors are being used to monitor water quality and fish health. This data can then be used to improve fish farming practices.
Benefits of NITDA 4IRTA Grant
Selected beneficiaries will receive support and Funding in the following areas.
- The project will provide funding of N10,000,000 to each of the 10 beneficiaries.
- Beneficiaries will be selected based on their proposals for using UAV, IoT and/or AI to improve agricultural productivity and sustainability in Nigeria.
- In addition, the Ministry of Agriculture will support in identifying pilot farms and paths to scale and sustainability.
It is expected that tangible outcomes will be achieved with the demonstration of the contribution of technology in the following outcomes:
- Increased crop yield
- Improved soil health
- Reduced pest and disease outbreak
- Improved water use efficiency
- Enhanced livestock productivity
- Increased farmer incomes
- Improved food security
Applications will be evaluated for selection based on the following criteria:
- Innovation: The project should showcase an innovative use of UAV, IoT, AI
and/or Blockchain to improve agricultural productivity and
sustainability in Nigeria.
- Impact: The project should potentially generate significant economic
and social benefits for Nigerian farmers.
- Feasibility: The project should be technically feasible and have a clear
plan for scaling or wider implementation.
- Sustainability: The project should be sustainable and have a plan for
- Timeline: Only projects expected to be completed within 6 – 9 months will be considered
Application Closing Date
Submission of application starts on 27th November and ends on 11th December, 2023.
Successfully shortlisted applicants will be contacted latest 22nd January, 2024.
How to Apply
Interested applicants with projects that meets the above criteria can submit application online at https://4irta.nitda.gov.ng