The Youth Digest Magazine has awarded some Best Campus Journalists who have performed creditably well in reporting activities in and around schools and campuses in Tertiary institutions in Nigeria.
The award was given by the Magazine at an event to mark the Forth Campus Journalism Award 2021 in Abuja, organized by the editor in Chief of the Youth Digest Magazine, Mr. Gidado Shuaib.
At the event held on the 11th of December at Hotel 2020, Wuye in Abuja, Mr. Gidado Shuaib said the award was aimed at honoring student journalists who have performed exceptionally.
“Campus Journalists have the responsibility of being the watch dog of the society and our campuses.”
The publisher also called for the need to improve the media space, appreciate value discovery and encourage boarding journalists in tertiary institutions who fully participate actively in developmental journalism to reduce the rate of misinformation and disinformation in the society.
Mr. Gidado Shuaib added that campus journalists are shouldered with the responsibility of reporting what is going on in Campuses as well as strengthen National unity among Nigerian Students.
One of the awardees Hamzat Maryam noted that Campus Journalism was a training ground were young journalists could showcase their talents and express themselves.
“Campus Journalism is like building the future journalists. Campus journalist is the like bedrock were everything starts. Journalists contributes to the Nations development with their reporting activities.”
Youth Digest Magazine gave the Campus Journalism Awards 2021 based on different categories of the Journalism profession where Abdulhaleem Ishak emerged the overall winner while AbdulWasiu Olookoba a student of Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto, won the “Editor of the Year Award”. The categories of awards and the awardees are:
- Syndicate Writer – Abdulhaleem Ishak (overall winner), Ahmadu Bello University
- Upcoming Writer – Uchenna Igwe, Upcoming Writer, University of Uyo
- Entertainment Writer – Sanni Omolaja, University of Lagos
- Sport Writer – Hassan Abdulsalam, MAPOLY
- News Reporter – Gbolahan Latinwo, Obafemi Awolowo University
- Feature writer – Hamzat Mariam, LAUTECH
- Investigative Journalist – Oluwatobi Odeyinka, University of Ibadan
- Gender Equality Reporter of the Year – Fasilat Oluwuyi, Moshood Abiola Polytechnic (MAPOLY)
- Best Student in Broadcasting Category – Oluwatosin Ologun, Adekunle Ajasin University
- Social Media Influencer – Innocent Prince, Federal University of Otuoke
- Author of the Year – Nwobi Valentine, University of Nigeria
- Photojournalist of the Year – Muhammed Auwal, Ahmadu Bello University.
The other awardees are The Herald Magazine of Adekunle Ajasin University which bagged the Print Magazine of the Year award, while UCJ UNILORIN, University of Ilorin took home the Pen Club of the Year award.