The Federal Ministry of Communication, Innovation and Digital Economy – FMCIDE is partnering with the Nigeria Information Technology Development Agency – NITDA to offer an Artificial Intelligence Research grant to Innovators and Startups in Nigeria.
Similar to the NITDA 3 Million Technical Talent Program the Nigeria Artificial Intelligence Research Scheme 2023 is an initiative aimed at empowering the future generation through Innovation and Digital Transformation.
The program targets researchers and innovative ideas to accelerate their research and development efforts with the aim of fostering a vibrant and sustainable Artificial Intelligence ecosystem in Nigeria.
The AI Scheme is designed to provide financial support, facilitate knowledge sharing and collaboration among individuals and organisations in the AI industry.
The winning prize is a whooping N5,000,000 each for 45 successful AI researchers or start-ups.
Required Area of Research
AI researchers or start-ups are required to be from any of the following fields
- Education and Workforce
Successful AI Research or Start-ups must meet the following requirements
- Consortium that includes a start-up or technology company, Nigerian academic researcher or a foreign researcher.
- Must have a research proposal that aligns with the Federal Ministry of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy’s AI priority areas
- The applicant must have a detailed proposal outlining the project and its potential impact on the Nigerian economy
- Must have a demonstrable track record of excellence in research or entrepreneurship
- Must be able to publish at least one peer-reviewed article within one year of receiving the grant
Grant applications will be reviewed by a panel of AI experts. The selection criteria will include:
- Novelty and originality of the research proposal
- Applicant’s track record of excellence in research or entrepreneurship
- Alignment of the research with the Ministry’s AI priority areas
- Feasibility of the project
- Leverage Artificial Intelligence for Economic Growth
- The proposals will be evaluated by a panel of AI experts
- Shortlisted applicants will be notified via email and invited for an interview
- Successful applicants will be notified via email
Submission of application closes on November 15, 2023
Method of Application
Applications must be submitted through the designated online channel provided below.
Interested applicants can access the Grant Application Form online at airg.nitda.gov.ng